This week I have news on our 5pm activities which have been running before the Sunday@6 service each week. It’s possible this might get complicated so I’ll try and be extra clear by using the ancient art of formatting.
- 5pm Dinners WILL continue every fortnight. Here are the remaining dates for term two: 21/5, 4/6 & 18/6.
- The activities that were happening on the alternate weeks are going on a temporary PAUSE and will not be running for the remainder of term 2. Basically we are not satisfied with where these activities are at at the moment and believe they have lost a bit of direction and purpose. Our Sunday Core Team will be brainstorming this issue at our upcoming meeting and seeking to refocus our community building activities in and around Sunday@6.
- Because of this change, the prayer meetings that happen before each service will be different too. On dinner weeks, they will continue to be at 4:30. On alternate weeks the prayer meeting will be at 5pm. Again, this is a short term change for term two only. We have youth attend the prayer meetings occasionally, I think they are a great place for them to learn how to pray and meet Christians outside their age group.
Hope all that makes sense and hope to have some updates to this news in future weeks.
I’ve posted about Youth Unite before but it’s on tonight so thought I’d mention it one last time.
Life Groups. If you’ve registered for a group then it’s likely that you’ve heard from me or a leader already. If not, please drop me an email (firstname.lastname@example.org). Is it too late to join a group? Never! Just let us know you’re keen and we’ll see what we can do.
Trivia! At 5pm on Sundays (school and public holidays excluded) we have pre-service activities. Every second week it’s dinner but on the other weeks we do other stuff. This Sunday we’ve got some Trivia fun times planned. Click here for the Facebook event.
Oh, and don’t forget Camp Crave 🙂
The next two Sundays host two special services at St. John’s. This week we have our combined service at 10am. All four of our services are getting together for a big celebration together.
Following the combined service there will be a a bunch of training sessions, all very accessible to youth and adults. Click here for more details. If you know you’re coming to a training session, we’d love it if you could register (it’s free).
On Feb 12 we’ll have a LAUNCH service for Sunday@6. If the youth in your family are a bit hesitant about Sunday@6 or have been away in January, this would be the service I recommend getting them along for.
On this night, as well as the regular fun, music and teaching, they’ll find out plenty of info about the year ahead and hear the various ways they can be involved. Click here for the Facebook event.
See you there.
Hope the holidays have treated you well so far. Here’s a few dot points about youth related stuff happening in the next two weeks:
- There is no dinner before Sunday@6 during the holidays. Keep an eye on our Facebook page for info on 5pm activities.
- On Sunday 10th April we will be dedicating our entire Sunday@6 service to a panel QandA. A perfect night for youth to bring friends unfamiliar with Christianity.
- Some Life Groups are attempting to do something together in the holidays. I won’t be posting the details of those here so stay in contact with the group leaders for details on this. If you need contact details for a leader, please just drop me an email (email@example.com) and I can send you them.
- A date for your term 2 diary: Youth Unite will be on May 20.
Tomorrow night I will be meeting with our Life Group leaders and we will be locking in times and places for Life Groups to meet in 2016. That means if you haven’t yet registered your young person/people for a group then it would be great if you could please get that done asap.
We try and make the groups as convenient as possible for families however, as I’m sure you’re aware, that’s a logistical challenge, so the more info we have from you the better 🙂
Also, don’t forget we have Youth Unite on Feb 26 (no registration required) and Camp Crave in March (registration definitely required).
P.S. There is dinner at 5pm before the Sunday@6 service this week.
The Sunday@6 service has been happening during January but it’s been fairly relaxed. Now that school’s back we’ll get back into the normal swing of things.
First up is our pre-service dinner. A great opportunity to a) not be hungry and b) enjoy each other’s company. It starts at 5pm and everyone is welcome, scratch that, encouraged to join in. Here’s the dinner dates for this term:
- Feb 7
- Feb 21
- March 6
- March 20
On the alternate weeks there will still be stuff happening at 5pm but it won’t be a meal. We actually just got an automated coffee/hot chocolate machine so that will be in action during those times. This year we’ll be seeking to setup a hangout space with a variety of things to do rather than organise everyone to do the same activity (this just didn’t seem to work last year). It’s a bit of an experimental phase so feedback (positive or negative) would be appreciated.
Oh, and don’t forget to sign up for Camp Crave. Especially if you want a cabin spot as they tend to disappear fast.
I think it’s worth acknowledging that Sunday@6 has run late a couple of times during this ‘Love is…’ series. Normally we try and ensure we’re finished by 7:30 at the latest. Usually we nail it but recently, not so much.
The reason we try and finish on time is so that things like parent pick up times, bed times etc. are not thrown out of kilter. The reason we ran long those couple of weeks was that I felt the topics were serious enough that we needed to give the extra time to our Q&A section of the service.
Nobody has complained but I am aware of it and we’ll be seeking to get back on track with finish times for the rest of the year. It’s a chocka block service this weekend so we’ll be starting bang on 6pm; but come at 5 for dinner anyway!
My recommended pick up time for teenagers at a regular Sunday@6 service is between 7:30 and 8pm (age and circumstances depending).