At our most recent Sunday@6 service I mentioned that there are a few simple but important roles that are ideal for youth to take on if they’re wanting to serve at church. The obvious ones in my mind are reading the bible, hospitality and praying for people (either up front or in prayer ministry).
I was encouraged that multiple people responded and signed up for bible reading and prayer.
If your kids are keen to serve Jesus and are looking for a way in, a simple role like these can be a great start.
Please here me clearly, Sunday services are not the only place a person can serve Jesus (we can do that pretty much anywhere) and I do believe that youth are able to serve in roles that hold more responsibility. I mention these examples because they are central activities to being a Christian and they are easy to get started on.
If you’re finding it challenging to talk to your kids about this sort of thing, don’t be afraid to get in touch and we’ll see if we can help you out.
Here’s a few key dates for term 3.
Pre Sunday@6 dinners (5pm every two weeks):
Free Maths Tutoring, 3:30-5pm every two weeks, always leads into dinner:
Both the dinners and the FREE Maths Tutoring come highly recommended both because they’re high quality and great for relationship building.
This week I have news on our 5pm activities which have been running before the Sunday@6 service each week. It’s possible this might get complicated so I’ll try and be extra clear by using the ancient art of formatting.
- 5pm Dinners WILL continue every fortnight. Here are the remaining dates for term two: 21/5, 4/6 & 18/6.
- The activities that were happening on the alternate weeks are going on a temporary PAUSE and will not be running for the remainder of term 2. Basically we are not satisfied with where these activities are at at the moment and believe they have lost a bit of direction and purpose. Our Sunday Core Team will be brainstorming this issue at our upcoming meeting and seeking to refocus our community building activities in and around Sunday@6.
- Because of this change, the prayer meetings that happen before each service will be different too. On dinner weeks, they will continue to be at 4:30. On alternate weeks the prayer meeting will be at 5pm. Again, this is a short term change for term two only. We have youth attend the prayer meetings occasionally, I think they are a great place for them to learn how to pray and meet Christians outside their age group.
Hope all that makes sense and hope to have some updates to this news in future weeks.
I’ve posted about Youth Unite before but it’s on tonight so thought I’d mention it one last time.
Life Groups. If you’ve registered for a group then it’s likely that you’ve heard from me or a leader already. If not, please drop me an email (email@example.com). Is it too late to join a group? Never! Just let us know you’re keen and we’ll see what we can do.
Trivia! At 5pm on Sundays (school and public holidays excluded) we have pre-service activities. Every second week it’s dinner but on the other weeks we do other stuff. This Sunday we’ve got some Trivia fun times planned. Click here for the Facebook event.
Oh, and don’t forget Camp Crave 🙂
The next two Sundays host two special services at St. John’s. This week we have our combined service at 10am. All four of our services are getting together for a big celebration together.
Following the combined service there will be a a bunch of training sessions, all very accessible to youth and adults. Click here for more details. If you know you’re coming to a training session, we’d love it if you could register (it’s free).
On Feb 12 we’ll have a LAUNCH service for Sunday@6. If the youth in your family are a bit hesitant about Sunday@6 or have been away in January, this would be the service I recommend getting them along for.
On this night, as well as the regular fun, music and teaching, they’ll find out plenty of info about the year ahead and hear the various ways they can be involved. Click here for the Facebook event.
See you there.
Hope the holidays have treated you well so far. Here’s a few dot points about youth related stuff happening in the next two weeks:
- There is no dinner before Sunday@6 during the holidays. Keep an eye on our Facebook page for info on 5pm activities.
- On Sunday 10th April we will be dedicating our entire Sunday@6 service to a panel QandA. A perfect night for youth to bring friends unfamiliar with Christianity.
- Some Life Groups are attempting to do something together in the holidays. I won’t be posting the details of those here so stay in contact with the group leaders for details on this. If you need contact details for a leader, please just drop me an email (firstname.lastname@example.org) and I can send you them.
- A date for your term 2 diary: Youth Unite will be on May 20.
Tomorrow night I will be meeting with our Life Group leaders and we will be locking in times and places for Life Groups to meet in 2016. That means if you haven’t yet registered your young person/people for a group then it would be great if you could please get that done asap.
We try and make the groups as convenient as possible for families however, as I’m sure you’re aware, that’s a logistical challenge, so the more info we have from you the better 🙂
Also, don’t forget we have Youth Unite on Feb 26 (no registration required) and Camp Crave in March (registration definitely required).
P.S. There is dinner at 5pm before the Sunday@6 service this week.