During the three Sundays of the school holidays we give our cooks a rest and take a break from 5pm dinners. However, on the last Sunday of the holidays (July 16) there will be some fun-times activities from 5-6pm. Classic games from youth group/camp. Pop it in your diary, more details to come.
For the rest of the year we plan to do one big pre-service event each term as well as some post-service activities during holidays/long weekends. If you’re ever wondering what’s coming up, check out our Facebook page, it’s up to date about 95% of the time 😉
Hope the holidays have started well at your place. Here’s a few bits of info about holidays and youth at St. John’s.
- There are no 5pm activities or dinners on Sundays during the holidays or the two long weekends at that follow. So the first 5pm activities for term 2 will be on 30th April.
- There IS a 5pm prayer meeting before the service when there is no activities. You and your family are welcome to join. We keep things moving and are happy to help out people unfamiliar with group prayer.
- Click here for Easter Service details.
A note on Life Groups, because of the extra public holidays after the school holidays there are lots of clashes with Sunday and Monday Life Groups. The leaders will communicate whether there will be an extra meeting in there somewhere so they don’t miss four weeks in a row.
This Sunday (Sep 11) will be our last 5pm dinner for term 3. During the three Sundays of the school holidays we put a hold on 5pm activities and dinners to give our teams a break. We also move the 4:30pm prayer meeting to 5pm which you might like to get involved in.
Anyway, here’s what’s happening this Sunday:
- 3pm: FREE Maths Tutoring (Meeting Room 2)
- 4:30: Prayer for Youth and Young Adults (Prayer Room)
- 5pm: Dinner (Foyer)
- 6pm: Service (Generous Life series)
It’s only a couple of days till the holidays so I thought I’d write a few holiday related points from St. Johns.
- Many youth are helping with your primary school aged holiday program called Going Bananas. It’s always great to see and should be a great week.
- This Sunday we are having an election themed Sunday@6 service called ‘Who would Jesus vote for?‘. Should be good!
- Sunday@6 on July 3rd is a QandA panel night. We try and do one of these each school holidays, giving people a chance ask questions about anything slightly related to faith in Jesus. If your kids have not yet connected with the Sunday@6 community, this could be a great night to get started.
- The election themed service is actually the beginning of a series called ‘Not in Polite Company’ where we’ll talk about all the topics that make people uncomfortable if you bring them up at a dinner party. Of course we all, deep down, need to talk these things through in a safe and honesty environment so that’s what we’ll be doing. Here’s some of things we’ll be covering. All from a biblical perspective:
- Romantic Relationships
- Gay Marriage.
- Women in leadership in the church
- In amongst all that there will be a Baptism and Confirmation Service on July 17th.
Hope the holidays have treated you well so far. Here’s a few dot points about youth related stuff happening in the next two weeks:
- There is no dinner before Sunday@6 during the holidays. Keep an eye on our Facebook page for info on 5pm activities.
- On Sunday 10th April we will be dedicating our entire Sunday@6 service to a panel QandA. A perfect night for youth to bring friends unfamiliar with Christianity.
- Some Life Groups are attempting to do something together in the holidays. I won’t be posting the details of those here so stay in contact with the group leaders for details on this. If you need contact details for a leader, please just drop me an email (firstname.lastname@example.org) and I can send you them.
- A date for your term 2 diary: Youth Unite will be on May 20.
School holidays start approximately 3pm this Friday so I thought I’d give a few important details regarding what happens at St. John’s during those two weeks:
- There are no pre church activities in the holidays. We give our teams a couple of weeks rest from games or dinner. There is, however, still supper after the service.
- We’ll be hosting another panel night on Sunday the 27th of September. Details to come.
- Youth Life Groups usually don’t meet over the holidays although they might do some sort of special activity.
- Suni, our free maths tutor has offered to come in one Sunday during the holidays but we’ll only do it if there is a bit of demand for it. If you know you would definitely take advantage of this please email me this week (email@example.com).
Some info for you regarding youth related activities in the holidays:
- All ages Good Friday service at St. John’s – 10am.
- Easter Sunday@6 service is on April 5th.
- Special Panel Q&A Sunday@6 service on April 12th.
- There will be no games or dinner before the service for the next two weeks.
- Life Groups will likely take a break as well.
- For gamers, we recommend a two day gaming event called Relief LANS. This event is not run by St. John’s but we do host it and many from our church are involved. Check out this link for more info.