This week I have news on our 5pm activities which have been running before the Sunday@6 service each week. It’s possible this might get complicated so I’ll try and be extra clear by using the ancient art of formatting.
- 5pm Dinners WILL continue every fortnight. Here are the remaining dates for term two: 21/5, 4/6 & 18/6.
- The activities that were happening on the alternate weeks are going on a temporary PAUSE and will not be running for the remainder of term 2. Basically we are not satisfied with where these activities are at at the moment and believe they have lost a bit of direction and purpose. Our Sunday Core Team will be brainstorming this issue at our upcoming meeting and seeking to refocus our community building activities in and around Sunday@6.
- Because of this change, the prayer meetings that happen before each service will be different too. On dinner weeks, they will continue to be at 4:30. On alternate weeks the prayer meeting will be at 5pm. Again, this is a short term change for term two only. We have youth attend the prayer meetings occasionally, I think they are a great place for them to learn how to pray and meet Christians outside their age group.
Hope all that makes sense and hope to have some updates to this news in future weeks.
A few things to note in the coming days:
- Youth Unite is on Friday night. Thanks to those who have RSVP’d. This event is definitely going ahead so do come along (you don’t have to RSVP but it would help). Click here for details.
- Sunday@6 Dinner is on at 5pm on the 30th.
- Tuesday is a public holiday. The Tuesday Life Groups might not meet that day, please check with your group leaders to confirm.
Don’t forget you can keep in touch with what’s happening at St. John’s via our Sunday@6 Facebook page and the ‘St. John’s Parents of Teenagers’ group. You can access the page without a Facebook account.
This Sunday (Sep 11) will be our last 5pm dinner for term 3. During the three Sundays of the school holidays we put a hold on 5pm activities and dinners to give our teams a break. We also move the 4:30pm prayer meeting to 5pm which you might like to get involved in.
Anyway, here’s what’s happening this Sunday:
- 3pm: FREE Maths Tutoring (Meeting Room 2)
- 4:30: Prayer for Youth and Young Adults (Prayer Room)
- 5pm: Dinner (Foyer)
- 6pm: Service (Generous Life series)
The Sunday@6 service has been happening during January but it’s been fairly relaxed. Now that school’s back we’ll get back into the normal swing of things.
First up is our pre-service dinner. A great opportunity to a) not be hungry and b) enjoy each other’s company. It starts at 5pm and everyone is welcome, scratch that, encouraged to join in. Here’s the dinner dates for this term:
- Feb 7
- Feb 21
- March 6
- March 20
On the alternate weeks there will still be stuff happening at 5pm but it won’t be a meal. We actually just got an automated coffee/hot chocolate machine so that will be in action during those times. This year we’ll be seeking to setup a hangout space with a variety of things to do rather than organise everyone to do the same activity (this just didn’t seem to work last year). It’s a bit of an experimental phase so feedback (positive or negative) would be appreciated.
Oh, and don’t forget to sign up for Camp Crave. Especially if you want a cabin spot as they tend to disappear fast.
This Sunday will be our last pre-service dinner for 2015. Introducing food each fortnight has been very well received and we’ll continue it next year. If you have any ideas on how we can improve the meal time please do let us know (firstname.lastname@example.org).
After the service we will screen Star Wars: Return of the Jedi, which will run from about 8:15-10:15.
The following week Sunday@6 will be joining the Community Carols event at the Diamond Creek Cricket ground; a great night for the family, details in a coming post.
Approximately once every two weeks (except in the holidays) we host a 5pm dinner before the Sunday@6 service. Here’s the dates for term 4:
- 18th Oct 5.00pm
- 1st Nov 5.00pm
- 15th Nov 5.00pm
- 6th Dec 5.00pm
There is lots happening this Sunday (Aug 30).
Suni is a maths teacher who works at Diamond Valley College and is seeking to give back to the community by running some free tutoring on maths related school work. We’re hosting these sessions every second Sunday before our 5pm meals. Come along, bring your school work with you and any friends who’d like to take advantage of this generous offer. Click here for a post with more details.
After tutoring there is our fortnightly 5pm dinner which leads into the third in our ‘Love is…’ series of services; this time we’re talking about relationships where sex is a thing (either because people are actually having sex or just thinking about it). You might have noticed this is a big issue for teenagers!? Our culture presents us with a whole bunch of rubbish about sex so we’ll sift through all that muck and present people with what God really wants for us.
Warning: this final paragraph is highly opinionated.
I hope you read this as a loving comment from someone who cares about your kids rather than a criticism :-). If you think your high school kids are too young to be hearing about sex, you’re wrong. Even in the unlikely case that they’re not getting exposed to sexualised conversations and online content already, the first word on this stuff is way better coming from you than from some random source at school or online. So I would not just encourage you to bring your kids to this service, I’d also encourage you to stay yourself so you can talk about it afterwards. Opinion over :-).