All year we’ve held fortnightly dinners at 5pm before our evening service. This week will be our last for this year.
The following weeks will be our Baptism/Confirmation Service followed by Community Carols and Christmas Eve!
Thanks to all our legendary cooks who have helped out during the year and helped make our service a more welcoming and hospitable place 🙂
Here’s a few key dates for term 3.
Pre Sunday@6 dinners (5pm every two weeks):
Free Maths Tutoring, 3:30-5pm every two weeks, always leads into dinner:
Both the dinners and the FREE Maths Tutoring come highly recommended both because they’re high quality and great for relationship building.
This week I have news on our 5pm activities which have been running before the Sunday@6 service each week. It’s possible this might get complicated so I’ll try and be extra clear by using the ancient art of formatting.
- 5pm Dinners WILL continue every fortnight. Here are the remaining dates for term two: 21/5, 4/6 & 18/6.
- The activities that were happening on the alternate weeks are going on a temporary PAUSE and will not be running for the remainder of term 2. Basically we are not satisfied with where these activities are at at the moment and believe they have lost a bit of direction and purpose. Our Sunday Core Team will be brainstorming this issue at our upcoming meeting and seeking to refocus our community building activities in and around Sunday@6.
- Because of this change, the prayer meetings that happen before each service will be different too. On dinner weeks, they will continue to be at 4:30. On alternate weeks the prayer meeting will be at 5pm. Again, this is a short term change for term two only. We have youth attend the prayer meetings occasionally, I think they are a great place for them to learn how to pray and meet Christians outside their age group.
Hope all that makes sense and hope to have some updates to this news in future weeks.
A few things to note in the coming days:
- Youth Unite is on Friday night. Thanks to those who have RSVP’d. This event is definitely going ahead so do come along (you don’t have to RSVP but it would help). Click here for details.
- Sunday@6 Dinner is on at 5pm on the 30th.
- Tuesday is a public holiday. The Tuesday Life Groups might not meet that day, please check with your group leaders to confirm.
Don’t forget you can keep in touch with what’s happening at St. John’s via our Sunday@6 Facebook page and the ‘St. John’s Parents of Teenagers’ group. You can access the page without a Facebook account.
This Sunday (Sep 11) will be our last 5pm dinner for term 3. During the three Sundays of the school holidays we put a hold on 5pm activities and dinners to give our teams a break. We also move the 4:30pm prayer meeting to 5pm which you might like to get involved in.
Anyway, here’s what’s happening this Sunday:
- 3pm: FREE Maths Tutoring (Meeting Room 2)
- 4:30: Prayer for Youth and Young Adults (Prayer Room)
- 5pm: Dinner (Foyer)
- 6pm: Service (Generous Life series)
The Sunday@6 service has been happening during January but it’s been fairly relaxed. Now that school’s back we’ll get back into the normal swing of things.
First up is our pre-service dinner. A great opportunity to a) not be hungry and b) enjoy each other’s company. It starts at 5pm and everyone is welcome, scratch that, encouraged to join in. Here’s the dinner dates for this term:
- Feb 7
- Feb 21
- March 6
- March 20
On the alternate weeks there will still be stuff happening at 5pm but it won’t be a meal. We actually just got an automated coffee/hot chocolate machine so that will be in action during those times. This year we’ll be seeking to setup a hangout space with a variety of things to do rather than organise everyone to do the same activity (this just didn’t seem to work last year). It’s a bit of an experimental phase so feedback (positive or negative) would be appreciated.
Oh, and don’t forget to sign up for Camp Crave. Especially if you want a cabin spot as they tend to disappear fast.
This Sunday will be our last pre-service dinner for 2015. Introducing food each fortnight has been very well received and we’ll continue it next year. If you have any ideas on how we can improve the meal time please do let us know (firstname.lastname@example.org).
After the service we will screen Star Wars: Return of the Jedi, which will run from about 8:15-10:15.
The following week Sunday@6 will be joining the Community Carols event at the Diamond Creek Cricket ground; a great night for the family, details in a coming post.