First up, just a quick reminder that we have our 6to6 Prayer Day this Saturday. Twelve hours of non-stop prayer in the foyer at St. John’s.
Each hour is facilitated by two adults with Working With Children Checks and their job is to encourage/help people to pray.
For this reason, I reckon that 6to6 is a great opportunity for youth. Every hour of the day will be an appropriate time for them to come along and experience prayer, perhaps in a way they haven’t before.
Click here to see the timetable and drop in any time between 6am and 6pm on Saturday June 17th.
There is a youth event on Friday 23rd June and then a youth hosted fundraiser on Saturday 24th June. Usually we would avoid putting two youth related extra events on the one weekend but, well… it’s a long story but basically we didn’t realise the clash early enough to avoid it. No one’s fault, just an accident.
Anyway, how do you pick which to attend if you’ve got a busy weekend? Well the Games and Movie Night is purely social and only for youth; no adults allowed. The Fundraiser is not a youth event as such, the majority of people attending will be adults, but it has a ripper cause (The Babes Project) and is organised by one of our youth life groups. It’s great to see these girls taking something on like this and seeking to make a difference in the lives of other young people.
I will be at the Games and Movie night but, then again, I am in charge of that one. Some of our youth and leaders will be at the fundraiser because they’re in charge there. The choice, is yours. Apologies if it causes angst in your family, we’ll try and avoid this sort of issue again in the future.
We’ve got a chance for youth to hang out coming up soon. Here are the details:
- Time: 6pm-10pm
- We’ll start with some easy to learn, fun to play, multiplayer video games. And snacks! Then get pizza. And watch a movie!
- Click here to RSVP and vote for the movie you’d most like to see. Democracy will rule.
- This will likely be a house party in Diamond Creek although we may move it to the church if there’s a lot of people attending and we don’t all fit in a lounge room. We’ll contact you with details once the event is locked in.
Should be fun. Please be aware that a couple of the possible movies are rated M for violence and mild course language. I’ve seen all the movies and believe they are appropriate for all high school ages but would be happy to talk to you about movie selection if you have concerns.
This last week I was fortunate enough to receive some un-asked-for encouragement from a few people in my life. It was great and reminded me of something very true: no one ever gets tired of being encouraged! (They might get sick of being encouraged in a patronising way but that’s not really encouragement in my book ;-).
Anyway, I thought I’d let you know that when it comes to encouragement, youth leaders really value it, especially from a parent of a youth they lead. Youth leading can be pretty emotionally draining at times but whenever I’ve had a parent offer me some encouragement it’s filled me right up.
So, can I please encourage you to encourage the youth leaders you know? It can sometimes be a challenge as a lot of what they do isn’t particularly visible but even if you encourage them on the small details, it will help them greatly in their role as leader of your kids.
Also, from a selfish point of view, I always find that when I encourage others, I tend to feel pretty great too. I think God set it up that way 🙂
P.S. Don’t miss our goodbyes to Andrew Bowles this Sunday at both Diamond Creek Services and on Saturday evening.
This Sunday at 3:30pm we will be hosting free maths tutoring for high school students. This is something we’ve done for a while now and is a fantastic opportunity waiting to be taken advantage of.
Remember, it’s free! Normally this would cost about $60 an hour!
Here’s some details:
- At St. John’s in Meeting Room 2 (we’ll put signs up).
- Bring your school work with you (especially maths stuff).
- It’s free!
- All year levels of high school.
- Students from all schools welcome.
- This is not limited to church people; invite friends who would benefit from the tutoring.
- There will be pre-Sunday@6 dinner from 5pm so do stick around for a feed 🙂
This is a great connection with our local community and we hope it will grow. If you anticipate one or more of your kids coming to the session, could you please let me know via email? firstname.lastname@example.org
Here are the Facebook events for each of the tutoring sessions:
This week I have news on our 5pm activities which have been running before the Sunday@6 service each week. It’s possible this might get complicated so I’ll try and be extra clear by using the ancient art of formatting.
- 5pm Dinners WILL continue every fortnight. Here are the remaining dates for term two: 21/5, 4/6 & 18/6.
- The activities that were happening on the alternate weeks are going on a temporary PAUSE and will not be running for the remainder of term 2. Basically we are not satisfied with where these activities are at at the moment and believe they have lost a bit of direction and purpose. Our Sunday Core Team will be brainstorming this issue at our upcoming meeting and seeking to refocus our community building activities in and around Sunday@6.
- Because of this change, the prayer meetings that happen before each service will be different too. On dinner weeks, they will continue to be at 4:30. On alternate weeks the prayer meeting will be at 5pm. Again, this is a short term change for term two only. We have youth attend the prayer meetings occasionally, I think they are a great place for them to learn how to pray and meet Christians outside their age group.
Hope all that makes sense and hope to have some updates to this news in future weeks.
If you’re getting this message on Friday arvo, this is a last minute reminder that Youth Unite is tonight at 7pm.
Also at short notice is a chance to go to a play staring one of our year 10s. Their school is putting it on with Scotch College which means it’s going to be in a very nice (expensive) auditorium.
Click here for details. We need to get your RSVP but this Monday afternoon (May 8th) if you’re coming!
Bye for now.
Three times a year we meet up with other youth ministries in the Northern Suburbs for an all-in event called Youth Unite. They are a really positive example of people from all different backgrounds getting together because of Jesus and I expect this one to be no exception.
Click here to see the Facebook event which has the details. Diamond Valley Baptist are hosting this time, they are literally in the same street as our church, just a couple of minutes down the road, so we’ll just meet there rather than car pooling from St. John’s.
No need to RSVP this time due to no car pool.
It should be a great night, we hope as many St. John’s youth as possible can be there.