During the three Sundays of the school holidays we give our cooks a rest and take a break from 5pm dinners. However, on the last Sunday of the holidays (July 16) there will be some fun-times activities from 5-6pm. Classic games from youth group/camp. Pop it in your diary, more details to come.
For the rest of the year we plan to do one big pre-service event each term as well as some post-service activities during holidays/long weekends. If you’re ever wondering what’s coming up, check out our Facebook page, it’s up to date about 95% of the time 😉
This Sunday at 3:30pm we will be hosting free maths tutoring for high school students. This is something we’ve done for a while now and is a fantastic opportunity waiting to be taken advantage of.
Remember, it’s free! Normally this would cost about $60 an hour!
Here’s some details:
- At St. John’s in Meeting Room 2 (we’ll put signs up).
- Bring your school work with you (especially maths stuff).
- It’s free!
- All year levels of high school.
- Students from all schools welcome.
- This is not limited to church people; invite friends who would benefit from the tutoring.
- There will be pre-Sunday@6 dinner from 5pm so do stick around for a feed 🙂
This is a great connection with our local community and we hope it will grow. If you anticipate one or more of your kids coming to the session, could you please let me know via email? email@example.com
Here are the Facebook events for each of the tutoring sessions:
This week I have news on our 5pm activities which have been running before the Sunday@6 service each week. It’s possible this might get complicated so I’ll try and be extra clear by using the ancient art of formatting.
- 5pm Dinners WILL continue every fortnight. Here are the remaining dates for term two: 21/5, 4/6 & 18/6.
- The activities that were happening on the alternate weeks are going on a temporary PAUSE and will not be running for the remainder of term 2. Basically we are not satisfied with where these activities are at at the moment and believe they have lost a bit of direction and purpose. Our Sunday Core Team will be brainstorming this issue at our upcoming meeting and seeking to refocus our community building activities in and around Sunday@6.
- Because of this change, the prayer meetings that happen before each service will be different too. On dinner weeks, they will continue to be at 4:30. On alternate weeks the prayer meeting will be at 5pm. Again, this is a short term change for term two only. We have youth attend the prayer meetings occasionally, I think they are a great place for them to learn how to pray and meet Christians outside their age group.
Hope all that makes sense and hope to have some updates to this news in future weeks.
I’ve recently watched a few interviews with leadership guru Simon Sinek. He’s been talking a lot about the millennial generation (the generation that came before today’s youth). It’s good stuff.
I recommend watching this video as it has lots of insights into technology, culture and parenting. Whilst it is primarily about young adults, I can see a lot of this stuff filtering into youth culture right now.
As for St. John’s, our 5pm dinners/activities will begin again on April 30. This Sunday you can join us for the prayer meeting at 5pm, from April 30 it will move back to 4:30. We’ve had some good youth turnouts for prayer in recent weeks.
Hope the holidays have started well at your place. Here’s a few bits of info about holidays and youth at St. John’s.
- There are no 5pm activities or dinners on Sundays during the holidays or the two long weekends at that follow. So the first 5pm activities for term 2 will be on 30th April.
- There IS a 5pm prayer meeting before the service when there is no activities. You and your family are welcome to join. We keep things moving and are happy to help out people unfamiliar with group prayer.
- Click here for Easter Service details.
A note on Life Groups, because of the extra public holidays after the school holidays there are lots of clashes with Sunday and Monday Life Groups. The leaders will communicate whether there will be an extra meeting in there somewhere so they don’t miss four weeks in a row.
A few tidbits for you this week:
- This Sunday night we are hosting a Panel Night as part of our Sunday@6 service. This is something we do several times and year. We select four members of our church who volunteer to attempt to answer any question people throw at them (at least if the questions relate to God in some way). People can ask via text or just pop their hand up. We believe that young people don’t respond well to simply be told what to believe, they like to discuss it and work it out with others; these panel nights are designed to help start and deepen conversations about the most important things in life.
- Do you have a teenager writer in your family? They might like to enter this competition.
- This Sunday our pre service activity is an act of service flowing from our church’s partnership with Prison Fellowship. Each year they encourage churches to bake biscuits to give to prisoners and their families. That’s what we’ll be doing from 2:30 this Sunday in the St. John’s kitchen, come join us! Click here for the Facebook event.
I’ve posted about Youth Unite before but it’s on tonight so thought I’d mention it one last time.
Life Groups. If you’ve registered for a group then it’s likely that you’ve heard from me or a leader already. If not, please drop me an email (firstname.lastname@example.org). Is it too late to join a group? Never! Just let us know you’re keen and we’ll see what we can do.
Trivia! At 5pm on Sundays (school and public holidays excluded) we have pre-service activities. Every second week it’s dinner but on the other weeks we do other stuff. This Sunday we’ve got some Trivia fun times planned. Click here for the Facebook event.
Oh, and don’t forget Camp Crave 🙂