At our most recent Sunday@6 service I mentioned that there are a few simple but important roles that are ideal for youth to take on if they’re wanting to serve at church. The obvious ones in my mind are reading the bible, hospitality and praying for people (either up front or in prayer ministry).
I was encouraged that multiple people responded and signed up for bible reading and prayer.
If your kids are keen to serve Jesus and are looking for a way in, a simple role like these can be a great start.
Please here me clearly, Sunday services are not the only place a person can serve Jesus (we can do that pretty much anywhere) and I do believe that youth are able to serve in roles that hold more responsibility. I mention these examples because they are central activities to being a Christian and they are easy to get started on.
If you’re finding it challenging to talk to your kids about this sort of thing, don’t be afraid to get in touch and we’ll see if we can help you out.
Here’s a few key dates for term 3.
Pre Sunday@6 dinners (5pm every two weeks):
Free Maths Tutoring, 3:30-5pm every two weeks, always leads into dinner:
Both the dinners and the FREE Maths Tutoring come highly recommended both because they’re high quality and great for relationship building.
This Sunday we’re hosting a special Sunday@6 service which features a guest speaker from Barcelona and a panel where we’ll attempt to answer peoples’ big questions about God, life and faith.
Click here to see the Facebook event.
Panel nights are important because young people value transparency and the willingness to discuss questions and doubts. We try and do these nights a few times a year to get a good sense of where people are at and what issues are pressing on the minds of young people.
If you or your kids would like to nominate a topic for discussion in advance you can text anytime before 4pm Friday to this number: 0490 453 293.
First up, I’m about to go on leave for a few days so there will be no post from me next week.
However, I’m back on Sunday 16th for our 5pm CLASSIC YOUTH GAMES. This is going to be one hour of people’s favourite youth group/youth camp/school camp games; at least the ones that fit in our building and are legal 😉
We’ll have a mix of high intensity and low intensity so there should be a good mix of activities for everyone.
Can parents play? Yes, yes you can. I’ll leave it up to you whether that’s a wise move in your parent/child relationship 😉
This is a slightly risky event for us to run because it does rely on a good turn out to ensure it’s fun so we hope to see heaps of you there!
Here’s the Facebook event.
During the three Sundays of the school holidays we give our cooks a rest and take a break from 5pm dinners. However, on the last Sunday of the holidays (July 16) there will be some fun-times activities from 5-6pm. Classic games from youth group/camp. Pop it in your diary, more details to come.
For the rest of the year we plan to do one big pre-service event each term as well as some post-service activities during holidays/long weekends. If you’re ever wondering what’s coming up, check out our Facebook page, it’s up to date about 95% of the time 😉
This Sunday at 3:30pm we will be hosting free maths tutoring for high school students. This is something we’ve done for a while now and is a fantastic opportunity waiting to be taken advantage of.
Remember, it’s free! Normally this would cost about $60 an hour!
Here’s some details:
- At St. John’s in Meeting Room 2 (we’ll put signs up).
- Bring your school work with you (especially maths stuff).
- It’s free!
- All year levels of high school.
- Students from all schools welcome.
- This is not limited to church people; invite friends who would benefit from the tutoring.
- There will be pre-Sunday@6 dinner from 5pm so do stick around for a feed 🙂
This is a great connection with our local community and we hope it will grow. If you anticipate one or more of your kids coming to the session, could you please let me know via email? email@example.com
Here are the Facebook events for each of the tutoring sessions:
This week I have news on our 5pm activities which have been running before the Sunday@6 service each week. It’s possible this might get complicated so I’ll try and be extra clear by using the ancient art of formatting.
- 5pm Dinners WILL continue every fortnight. Here are the remaining dates for term two: 21/5, 4/6 & 18/6.
- The activities that were happening on the alternate weeks are going on a temporary PAUSE and will not be running for the remainder of term 2. Basically we are not satisfied with where these activities are at at the moment and believe they have lost a bit of direction and purpose. Our Sunday Core Team will be brainstorming this issue at our upcoming meeting and seeking to refocus our community building activities in and around Sunday@6.
- Because of this change, the prayer meetings that happen before each service will be different too. On dinner weeks, they will continue to be at 4:30. On alternate weeks the prayer meeting will be at 5pm. Again, this is a short term change for term two only. We have youth attend the prayer meetings occasionally, I think they are a great place for them to learn how to pray and meet Christians outside their age group.
Hope all that makes sense and hope to have some updates to this news in future weeks.